Homemade banana ice-cream in a bag.


Since I am really cramming my poor innards with a ludicrous amount of bananas lately, I thought I'd take it up a notch with some homemade banana ice cream today. This task's purpose was twofold:

1) I have been such a rotten barf nugget to my kids all weekend that I needed to assure them and myself that there is a decent human inside this cold encasing shrouded by scowling beady eyed looks (I call this "See kids, I AM good mom" insurance).
2) My kids wanted a treat (read: I wanted a treat).

And with that, I give you:

How to make homemade banana ice-cream in a bag (trumpet sound):


Yields: 1 single serving

Items needed:
  1. Ingredients (listed below)
  2. Two small sealable freezer bags
  3. One large sealable freezer bag
  4. 4 cups crushed ice
  5. 4 tablespoons salt
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup milk (works best with whole milk but I used 1%)
  • 1 t. Truvia
  • 1/2 t. pure vanilla
  • 1/2 banana, sliced
Directions:
  1. Pour the milk, Truvia, vanilla and bananas into a small bag.  Zip up the bag, making sure there is not too much air left inside.
  2. Put this bag inside the other small bag and seal it up, squeezing out any excess air.
  3. Put the crushed ice into the large sealable bag and sprinkle it with the salt.  
  4. Place the smaller bags in the middle of the ice and seal the large bag, making sure all excess air is out.
  5. Wrap the bag in a towel (or put on warm gloves) and shake and squish the bags, making sure the ice surrounds the ice-cream mixture.  It should take about 10 minutes for the mixture to freeze.
  6. Once the ice-cream has reached a desired consistency, open the bags and dish is into a bowl using a spoon.  


I like my bananas in bigger chunks because I like their consistency when they are frozen, but cut 'em to however tickles your fancy.




We turned on some music and my girls shook their bags to a little One Direction (London got the CD from a friend for her birthday and i'm pretty sure my ears are bleeding).


This is how much comes out of one yield.  It is the perfect size to make you full and satisfied.


I threw in some blueberries after the fact for a little tart flavor.  Maybe I should have added some Metamucil to counteract all the bananas my body is trying to process.  

And that, my friends, is how to keep your kids entertained and your sweet tooth satisfied in a reasonably healthy way.  

Upcoming post preview: Phrases that make my tooth sockets burn with displeasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment