Greek Yogurt & Banana Pancakes

Last night I had decided that I was going to take a day off the gym this morning and try to sleep in.  My kids woke up at 7:00am (I usually have to drag them out of bed at 7:45 for school on weekdays).  As I laid in bed trying to decide if I was going to be ornery (status quo) or deal with it, I decided I'd get up and use the extra time to try a new breakfast recipe.  And this is what spawned from my unfortunate early morning:

03-09-13 037

I used a recipe I had for sour cream and banana pancakes and healthitized it. 

Greek Yogurt & Banana Pancakes

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
  • 3 1/2 t. Stevia or Truvia
  • 2 t. baking powder
  • 1 1/2 t. sea salt
  • 1  sm. container of any flavor Trader Joes greek yogurt (I used strawberry) or about 1/2 cup
  • 1/4 C plus 2 T. almond milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 t. pure vanilla extract
  • unsalted butter
  • 2 ripe bananas, diced
  • Pure maple syrup or topping of choice
Directions:
  1. In a medium bowl, mix together flour, Stevia, baking powder and salt
  2. In a separate bowl, stir together greek yogurt, almond milk, eggs and vanilla.
  3. Add wet ingredients to the dry, mixing only until combined. (mixture is thicker than regular pancake batter)
  4. Melt 1 T. butter on a griddle at 300 degrees. 
  5. Scoop batter onto griddle to desire sized of pancake.
  6. Distribute a rounded T. of bananas on top of the pancake and use the back of the spoon to lightly press down on top and help flatten pancake.
  7. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until nicely browned.
  8. Flip the pancake and brown on other side for about 1 minute.
  9. Rebutter the griddle before adding more batter.
  10. Serve with sliced bananas, butter and pure maple syrup.
Yields: 8 pancakes
03-09-13 022
I forgot the almond milk in this pic. It’s my first recipe post so please allow me a little room for stupidity.
03-09-13 024
I used strawberry flavored greek yogurt which you could slightly taste in end product. 
03-09-13 029
I thought the batter turned out to be a little too thick and will thin it out and tweak the recipe for next time.  They still turned out yum.
03-09-13 031 
I diced my bananas smaller so that they wouldn’t make the pancake taste soggy.
03-09-13 032
When you scoop the batter onto the griddle, it is thick enough that it doesn’t spread well.  Scoop the bananas on top of the clump of batter and then use the back of the spoon to press down on the top and flatten a bit.  If you try to before you top with bananas, the batter will just stick to the spoon.
03-09-13 034
These babies and are thick and hearty.  I was stuffed after two.
03-09-13 037

My kids even ate these and they don’t like anything that is out of the standard Bisquick pancakes or waffles! 

Question:

1) What is your favorite healthy spin on a regular breakfast dish?

No comments:

Post a Comment